On the surface, your home may seem as safe and quaint as possible. But with improper use of appliances, homeowner oversight, or untimely neglect, your home is still susceptible to catching fire. Let’s review the most common causes of house fires and some ways to reduce those risks to keep you, your family, and your abode safe.
Poor Heating Arrangements
In the wintertime, many homeowners equip their homes with additional heating appliances. These appliances are convenient for keeping cozy in lower temperatures, but they can be highly dangerous if placed in a poor location. Always keep your heating appliances a little more than three feet away from any furnishing, clothing, or curtains. If your home utilizes a furnace for heating needs, be sure to have it routinely checked to verify it’s functioning properly.
For obvious reasons, smoking indoors increases the risks of a house fire. Flammable materials can easily light up from a cigarette that’s not fully put out. Even when cigarettes appear extinguished, they may still spark hazardous hot embers onto surrounding materials.
House fires that occur from smoking indoors are extremely unfortunate, as they’re super preventable. Should you smoke, step outside to avoid jeopardizing your home.
Incorrect Wiring Setups
Electrical mishaps are among the most common causes of house fires. Faulty or exposed cords can create electrical sparks that cause an outburst of flames. Because it lacks proper airflow, an overcrowded wiring setup is also much more apt to cause your wires to overheat quickly and catch ablaze.
If you’re not sure whether you have an optimal electrical configuration, check out some home wiring safety tips for beginners to ensure your wired setup is in the safest condition. Cable management accessories and surge protectors are helpful options for reducing wiring fire hazards.
Many house fires occur in the kitchen due to a lack of supervision. Too often, unattended stoves lead to fires at home after their flames catch onto a nearby towel, rag, or flammable cooking liquid. Anytime they’re using the stove, a member of the household should remain present in the kitchen. If you need to step out of the kitchen for a moment, turn off the stove flame. Keep a tidy kitchen to decrease the chances of a towel or flammable liquid catching fire.